Wałbrzych – Kłodzko (Line 286)
The line was constructed in the years 1876-1880 as a fragment of the Silesian Mountain Railway, being a part of the Central Berlin-Vienna Railway. The main line was to shorten the railway connecting two European capitals by 120 kilometres in comparison with the then existing route via Dresden and Prague, and was to constitute the shortest connection between those cities. That was one of the most expensive and demanding projects of the German railway till 1945. The project covered, among others, 3 railway tunnels (the longest tunnels in Poland), and 10 bridges and viaducts. The line was not electrified at the whole length.
Jaworzyna Śl. – Legnica (Line 137)
The line was constructed in the years 1844-1876 as the Podsudecka Main Line to connect industrial centres of Lower and Upper Silesia. In Legnica, the line is connected with Line 289 from Legnica to Lubin, which is the capital of the copper region. The line was not electrified at the whole length.
Jaworzyna Śl. – Jelenia Góra – Szklarska Poręba (Lines 274 and 311)
One of the oldest railway lines in Europe, which dates back to 1844. It was constructed to connect the Sudety Mountains with Wrocław, which is the industrial centre of the region. It was intensively expanded during the whole 19th century. One of the most important parts of the line is Line 311 from Jelenia Góra to Szklarska Poręba, which was the first electrified mountain line in Germany (before 1918). It crosses one of the highest mountain ranges in this part of Europe, i.e. the Karkonosze Mountains.
Wrocław – Poznań – Wolsztyn (Lines 271 and 357)
Line 271 dates back to 1853. It was constructed to connect two largest cities of then Eastern Germany: Wrocław and Poznań, taking into account an excellent connection between Wrocław and Upper Silesia. Line 357 from Poznań to Wolsztyn is one of the youngest railway lines in Poland. Its construction started in 1905. At the section from Poznan to Wolsztyn, the line was not electrified.